2008年10月20日月曜日

My big event


Has your life ever changed completely in one day? One summer day ten years ago, mine did. I was finishing university and wanted an adventure. I was thinking about moving to another country. There was an opportunity for me in China, but then a friend of mine who had been living in Osaka came back to Vancouver for summer holiday. We had a conversation that changed my life.

Many of my friends had moved to other countries to live and work. For some reason, I was envious of them. I wanted to go too! I was born in Vancouver, a city that many people say is the best in the world. But I was bored there. Living and working in another country sounded so exciting, so different from my boring day to day life. I knew that I had to try it. But how? How could I do it? Eventually, I found a job teaching at a university in China.

That August, my friend Chris came back to Vancouver to visit. He had been working in Japan since the spring. He said, “Why don’t you come to Osaka instead of going to China?” To be honest, I was a little afraid to go to China by myself. Staying with him would be easier so I got my visa and changed my ticket. I was going to go to Osaka.

Moving to Japan has changed me forever. There is always something going on in Osaka; it is full of action. Now I am married with two children. In some ways my life is more predictable than before. Although not as beautiful as Vancouver, to me Osaka is more exciting, more vibrant. I have learned that you can be bored anywhere, even in the most beautiful city in the world. Boredom or contentment is largely up to the individual.

0 件のコメント: